Edith De Leon
Posted in Staff Spotlight
June 9, 2023
Edith De Leon
- Preferred Pronouns
She, her, hers
Director of Admissions, Georgetown University School of Nursing
- How long have you worked at Georgetown?
5 1/2 years
- What led you to your position here at GUMC?
Prior to working at Georgetown, I worked at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital for 18 years as a program manager in the Department of Anesthesiology. The department was being restructured, and I decided it was an opportunity for me to see what else was out there for me. I was approached by the Doctor of Nurse Anesthesia Practice Program director and offered [my previous role at the School of Nursing as program manager for the DNAP Program] on the spot.
- In your role, how do you interact with the GUMC community?
I collaborate with other departments, such as academic affairs and student affairs, and leadership on a regular basis to ensure cohesiveness and effective flow of the admissions process at the School of Nursing.
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
My team, the opportunities that my role present in terms of problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and collaboration with my counterparts.
- What is a skill you have that might surprise people?
More than a skill, it’s a trait… I am an introvert at heart.
- What did you learn about yourself as a professional during the pandemic?
That I can possess a great ability to stay organized and focus.
- What do you like to do in your free time?
I enjoy going to the gym, hiking, bike-riding and cooking.
- What is your greatest achievement (personal or professional)?
To be a first-generation college grad, and to have landed this job!
- What is the best lesson you have learned from working at GUMC?
I’ve learned to appreciate diversity and inclusion, and to embrace change.