Posted in Staff Spotlight
March 24, 2023
Manager of Global Health Research Development
- How long have you worked at Georgetown?
- What led you to your position here at GUMC?
The opportunity to lead change and honor Georgetown Jesuit values
- In your role, how do you interact with the GUMC community?
I engage with the community in multiple roles. As a Georgetown employee, I am the administrative liaison to two global health centers, providing support to faculty both on campus and across the globe! I work with many different administrative departments to facilitate change in our administrative tools and processes. I also serve as a member of the GUMC caucus for the Staff/AAP Advisory Council, which allows me to hear thoughts and ideas from staff across GUMC. In 2019, I represented GUMC in the Hyundai Hands On Hope contest, engaging with faculty and members of the community on the importance of cancer research. Lastly, I am a recent graduate of Georgetown, receiving my master’s degree in 2022.
- What do you enjoy most about your job?
I have a different answer for my job versus my role. To get to be an indirect part of Georgetown’s incredible research initiatives is extremely humbling and rewarding. For my role, I most enjoy the level of trust given to move ideas forward and be an instrument of positive change to drive efficiency and mitigate risk.
- What is a skill you have that might surprise people?
I am able to pick up on very nuanced flavors in foods and love to cook. My wife and I even won a wine blending competition and had our blend produced at a Virginia winery!
- What did you learn about yourself as a professional during the pandemic?
Stepping into a role supporting faculty around the world while working remotely often means the need to be responsive when needed. I had to learn to find the proper balance of home in terms of the space and timing.
- What do you like to do in your free time?
I have an almost-2- and 4-year-old, what free time (insert smile)? Creating memories with my wife and kids is everything to me.
- What is your greatest achievement (personal or professional)?
Besides becoming a father, my greatest achievement was losing 74 pounds to be at my goal weight for my wedding.
- What is the best lesson you have learned from working at GUMC?
If you see an opportunity to make a difference, speak up or take it; those opportunities may never come back around.